Friday, June 24, 2011

JSP's Column #1: My Thoughts On The Current Product Offered By WWE and TNA

I know that my blog says JSP's reviews, but I'm gonna do columns as well. I mean, they won't be groundbreaking or anything, but I guess I can try. Reviews are my main strength, because I can really put my thoughts out to something I've seen a few times. Taking a shortcut? Maybe. Whatever floats your boat, dude.

People seem to sour on WWE as of late. I don't get it. There are always faults with the product at hand. People were fans of the Attitude Era, when it was cool to watch wrestling. But they long to go back to the days where basically anything could get by on television, where MMA was in the shitter, being hurt by John McCain's incessant bullshit. But they never seem to recognize that back then, there weren't very good matches. There were a lot in 1998, yes, but 1999, where the Attitude Era was in full swing, you couldn't really find good matches. There were some. Steve Austin and The Rock had some good ones, particularly at Backlash, in a very good brawl I rate personally at ****. 1999 also marks the big breakout ladder match between the Hardy's and Edge and Christian. Rock and Mankind had an awesome series of matches, featuring an I Quit match, a surprisingly entertaining Empty Arena Match, Last Man Standing, and a ladder match. What else really comes to the top of your head? Not much, huh? This is really my obnoxious way of saying that though people want more in ring action, the same people want to go back to 1999, where everything was funny and edgy.
        Back then, everything was overbooked and jumbled. Vince Russo had some good ideas at first, but when WWE let him have too much power, we saw a different product. Russo buried the Intercontinental Title, which had been held by wrestlers like Davey Boy Smith, Bret Hart, Owen Hart and Shawn Michaels as a transition to the World Title scene. The IC title was well regarded was well, actually main eventing one of the big four PPV's in 1992, when Davey Boy and Bret squared off in a ****1/2 classic. When Russo came along, we saw the likes of The fucking Godfather holding the belt, that once meant so much to the wrestling world. Hell, in Stone Cold's DVD, he said that he thought the IC belt meant even more than the World belt, because it had been held by so many wonderful workers, and been fought over in some of the best matches of all time. To go from being one of the most prestigious titles in the wrestling industry, to being a hunk of gold for worthless pieces of shit like Billy Gunn to carry around, well, that's disappointing. Of course, taking into consideration all that I've said about this year, the IC title is still treated as such, only Big Zeke is carrying it around, defending it against worthless British dipshits, like Wade Barrett. Okay, he's not that bad. Just thought I should keep up my trend of trashing wrestlers who could probably kick my face into next week.
         So where am I going with all this incessant rambling? 2011 isn't that bad. Yeah, I said it. I don't think John Cena is the big, slow, piece of shit everyone says he is. I don't think Austin Aries is the greatest worker in the world. I enjoy anything I can get. I like to watch Orton and Christian every week. I can enjoy Superstars on the web, because that is the source for a lot of the wrestling in WWE nowadays anyway. I can enjoy most things that aren't midget feuds, dance offs, or Kelly Kelly screaming in the fucking camera. I'm not your typical internet wrestling fan. Maybe this is just me trying to be obscure, trying to differentiate from the other people who bash everything WWE and TNA do, and swearing by Ring of Honor and Japan. I like Japanese wrestling, I like Ring of Honor, but they're not my favorite. WWE is. They always have been, and more than likely always will be. Sue me. And seriously, when it all boils down, I hate being an internet fan. I really do. But I do it anyway because I'm a hypocrite. I've already been smartened up, so why turn back now? I still want to be a mark. I wanna look at Ric Flair strutting down the aisle somewhere and want to punch him in the face. But don't we all?
         But if there is something I will agree with the IWC on, it's that TNA is booked by a bunch of fucking retards. I mean, Jesus Christ, how could a wrestling company with so much promise in late 2009 turn to such a piece of shit by mid 2010? I mean, Kurt Angle and Nigel McGuinness had some really awesome wrestling matches, the Motor City Machine Guns had very, very good tag matches with a variety of teams, and it looked like the first time Samoa Joe gave a shit wrestling since his feud with Kurt Angle. I swear, anything Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan touch turns to absolute crap. I really liked Bischoff in small doses when he was GM of Raw. He cut a fantastic promo when he had something good to work around, and was an overall good guy to have around as long as he didn't have creative power. And I am a bit ashamed to admit that I was the biggest Hulk Hogan fan when I was little. Even when I was smartened up, minus the internet, I was still a fan. When Shawn Michaels superkicked him on the July 4th Raw in 2005, I wanted to fucking kill HBK. And I was a smart fan by then. Now that I've read his shit with the Ultimate Warrior, and heard about his crap backstage, keeping Bubba The Love Sponge over Awesome Kong, I really wanna kick the guy in his plastic balls. I enjoyed him, and often cheered for him when he didn't have creative power.
          Vince Russo, on the other hand? I fucking hate this guy. I've seen everything he's done to try and destroy fan's enjoyment for the business so many people give their lives for. I really put my pencil through this guy's hands, so he can't write or type anything again. Maybe through his larynx too, so he can't voice ideas. My sole belief is that everything should either be booked by Scott D'Amore or Paul Heyman. Fuck Vince Russo in the face.

Thanks for listening to me be an asshole. I'll be back in a while with some review.

No comments:

Post a Comment